'An Evening with Avishai Cohen' with the BBC Concert Orchestra at London's Barbican
Jazz visionary, bassist, composer and singer, Avishai Cohen returns to the Barbican in London to perform his project ‘An Evening with Avishai Cohen’ with the BBC Concert Orchestra.
The performance on 9 February sees Cohen add a new dimension to his distinctive music by combining his dynamic trio with the sophisticated sound of a symphony orchestra. The programme – which features arrangements for solo, trio and full orchestra – includes settings of Cohen’s own contemporary jazz and world music compositions, orchestrated traditional Hebrew and Ladino songs, and selected classical works.
Premiered in Malmö with the Malmö SymfoniOrkester in September 2015, recent and upcoming highlights include:
- A sold out Avishai Cohen weekend at the Philharmonie de Paris
- Lyon (Orchestre national de Lyon)
- Monaco (Orchestre Philharmonique de Monte-Carlo)
- Wiener Musikverein (Tonkünstler-Orchester Niederösterreich)
- Wiener Konzerthaus (Brno Philharmonic Orchestra)
- Flagey and Ghent (Brussels Philharmonic)
- Luxembourg Philharmonie
- Philharmonie Essen
- Potsdam (Deutsches Filmorchester Babelsberg)
- Rheingau Festival
Polyarts is delighted to announce that it will now present this project in the US.
This concert is dedicated to John Ellson, celebrating his life, work, great wit and energy. As well as being a close friend to Avishai, John was a key figure in the development of Avishai’s success within the UK, being the first to introduce him to British audiences.
This event is associated with the British Heart Foundation.